09 September 2011

Confessions of Slow Dancing in a Burning Room

Alright, so helping out with my grandparents lead me to some late nights which meant lots of bad TV to keep me awake. I feel like I got caught up on all kinds of American pop culture that I missed from 2008-2010 by watching E! after 9:00 (Keeping Up With The Kardashains, Dance Moms). Confession- I've never watched anything on E! before last week. Close to midnight a special interview with Selena Gomez came on and I watched it. Yup. The WHOLE hour of it. She's a remarkable kid with a great grasp of reality (according to the E! interview, anyway). I started to do that "Input" thing and researched her (no pink horses here!), eventually landing on the page of her friend, Alyson Stoner.
I didn't have to scroll very far to see something that I really liked about this girl.
"As I recorded my version of this song, I prayed for God to help me understand and convey a level of hurt similar to John’s. What was revealed to me was powerful. I hadn’t experienced the demise of a romantic relationship, but I’d fallen in love with other things in this world that would fail to satisfy eternally; namely, my career.
For 11 years, I’d romanced my career by developing my craft, building my resume, and working consistently (without moral compromise, of course). But as I made my career my ULTIMATE thing, I sacrificed other important areas of my life, including relationships with family/friends/God, my health, and my education. Making any good thing an ULTIMATE thing will ALWAYS lead to destruction… it’s misguided worship. Worship intended to be directed toward the Source/Giver of the good thing. And, I can’t take any of my success to the grave anyway. Not my career. Not fame. Not money. Nothing. It’s like slow dancing in a burning room."
Check out the cover and her full blog statement here.


Go on and check them out... I won't judge you for following through on your input impulses. And, my confession of a guilty pleasure, I do like Selena Gomez' music... it makes me wanna dance! :-)

2 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

I had to google her. And the first thing I thought was, "Isn't that the girl from that Disney show? She sings?" But don't all the Disney show girls?

Cree said...

Selena Gomez, yeah she's one of the many Disney faces. She sang the theme song from her show. I recognized her from Ramona and Beezus and the radio, though. I got her When the Sun Goes Down cd (our dance party music) earlier this summer... I rock out to it at least weekly.

I recognized Alyson Stoner as Missy Elliot's dancer kid. :-) She's grown up since then (funny how that happens). She's a freaking amazing dancer. Her recently released EP has honest lyrics with a positive/original message.... and the arrangements are a funky mix of 80's, Michael Jackson-esque pop and rock.

I put Demi Lovato in the same category with Gomez and Stoner. She spent last winter in a psychiatric rehab center for an eating disorder and self-mutilation. She's honest about it, though, and uses her experience as a tool to serve her sphere of influence. Isn't that what it's all about?

These girls are maintaining their morals, truly talented, and loving Jesus in the process. That makes it easy for me to be a fan and support what they do. There are too many child stars from my generation and theirs who have ended up with shaved heads in drug rehab centers while paying off their DUI fines.

In a way, I'm proud of these girls.